Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Act II

        As we've seen in Act II, Nora has come to find out that Krogstad is ready to reveal her secret to Torvald. Of course Nora still is very incompetent and has no way to get the money. The first thing she thinks to do is borrow more money from Dr. Rank, which got her into this position in the first place. Either way she was not bothered about borrowing more money, as long as her husband never found out about her intolerable actions. At first I thought she was just going to be out with it towards Dr. Rank and just ask for the money. Maybe she's turning over a new page in her life. While trying to find a way to keep Torvald from finding out, she decides to stalk him by making him help her "improve" her Tarantella for the party.
        As they begin to talk Dr. Rank begins to profess her love for her and asks, "To have loved you as deeply as anyone else - was that horrid?" (Ibsen 195). She then chose not to ask for the money. Why do you think Nora holds back asking for the money? Could it be possible that she had feelings for him? Dr Rank them says, "You mustn't punish me like this. If you'll let me, I promise to do anything for you that a man can" (Ibsen 195). I believe that he said this because he knew how much he cared for her, but if he didn't then he wouldn't have cared if it was unsaid or not. This little hidden romance is very creepy to me due to the fact that he kept this to himself for so long. How about Nora's decision on ending her life. A little over dramatic, or what? Is she really going to put her family through that excruciating pain over a letter? Would you?

5 comments:

  1. I believe Nora and Dr.Rank's relationship was another example of what Nora wanted but couldn't have. I thought the relationship was sweet but it wasn't fair to Nora or Dr.Rank. Dr. Rank should have told Nora this information awhile ago. It wasn't fair for him to just drop it on her even though I feel like deep down she already knew.




























































































































    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would not let my family suffer the pain that all started as the root of me. Nora is also being very over dramatic, a letter or secrets you easily could have told your husband would make the situation a lot better. There would be nothing to find out if they were a real couple who cared about each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I believe Nora felt like since Dr.Rank announced his love for her it may seem like she is using him for the money to fix the problem. Also, she totally has feelings for him as well but back then a women can't feel that way for anyone but her husband thus she must say nothing. Lastly, I do not think Nora has the guts to kill herself also she is still in love with her husband and kids so it would be a very painful death mentally for her. Therefore I don't think she will actually kill herself in act 3.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Nadia. Asking for the money after he confessed his love for her may have seemed like she was using him. It may have also changed the way he looked at her. About Nora's decision to kill herself, I agree with Savannah. Nora is being over dramatic. The truth isn't serious to the point where it would destroy her life and she doesn't even know how Torvald will respond. She is deciding to end her life before anything goes wrong which doesn't make sense. There is no reason to put the ones she loves through so much pain.

    ReplyDelete