Sunday, March 20, 2016

Act 1 Post

        Oh what a "feather brain"! As we've read in Act 1, Nora isn't really your ideal wife. Am I right gentlemen? She loved to play the loving wife that obeys her husband, but is very manipulative to get anything she wants behind his back. She sure knows how to play her cards right. I believe that Nora had trouble telling the truth to anybody because she sees it as no use to her. Therefore she chooses to defy her husband, and sneak around doing things he would never approve of.
        Back in that day it was normal for a husband to have much control over his wife, just as Torvald does to Nora. Therefore it makes it hard for Nora to do anything for herself, such as working. When it came to their vacation to Italy for her husbands health she decided to borrow money from Krogstad, whom Torvald despises. If she were to just listen to her husband she wouldn't be stuck in this predicament she is in now. A quote that stuck out to me was when Torvald said to Nora, "Because an atmosphere of lies like that infects and poisons the whole life of a home. In a house like that, every breath that the children take is filled with the germs of evil" (page 179). I think that when Nora heard her husband say this she wasn't scared for the sake of her family, but more for herself because she realizes that if Torvald finds out, she'll have nothing left. I came to this belief because of another quote which states, "That would be a vile thing to do. [with tears in her voice] I've been so proud of my secret; I couldn't near to have him hear it like that - brutality and clumsily - and from you. It would put me in a most unpleasant position" (page 172). As you can see Nora only cares about what benefits her and what doesn't because in the last sentence she says "me" instead of "my family". 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commented on Michaela, Rushika, Noelle, and James'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Nora is not the ideal wife. She has two different personalities, one where she loves Torvald and needs him, and one of independence and rebellion. I think one reason for this defiance is in part due to the restrictions Torvald places upon her. She goes behind his back because he wont allow certain behaviors, just as teenagers will do things behind their parents' backs. As you said she mainly thinks of herself and what may benefit her which I think also contributes to her rebellious behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nora is not the ideal wife I agree. She acts so innocent towards Torvald , but thinks she can do everything on her own otherwise. I think she goes behind his back because she feels like she isn't doing enough with herself when with torvald. Just as a women should back the. she waas looking for attention. Making the man feel more dominant Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nora, overall is one of those wives that carelessly spend money, with no care in the world or resposibilities. She also constantly acts childish throughout the act, but (as you've said) quick to manipulate overs to get what she wants. Though on Danielle's blog she takes to mention Nora's act of love for her husband, but even then it only caused her entire family more struggle and conflict in the future. Telling me that she does a lot of things impulsively. So yes, I guess we can say she'd make a bad wife.

    ReplyDelete